Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: The Big Lie by Anthony Del Col and Werther Dell'Edera

Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: The Big Lie
  I read a few Hardy Boys books when I was a kid, but Nancy Drew the only teenage sleuth that mattered as far as I was concerned. I devoured Nancy Drew books. Of course the series had its problems. Even as a child, the racism was obvious. Non-white characters were inevitably described as swarthy and usually ended up being some sort of villain. Still, I loved the mysteries and that the fact that there was a girl who was smart and brave solving them.

The Big Lie is a spectacular noir update to both series. Nancy Drew is, of course, smart, brave and leading the trio as they try to solve the mystery of who murdered the Hardy boys' father. It's twisty and dark in all the right ways. From what I can tell, there are no sequels. The Big Lie is it which is a shame because I would totally read more Nancy Drew and her Hardy Boys sidekicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments. Tell me about the books you're reading.