Monday, February 3, 2020

Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland by Patrick Radden Keefe

Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland Between college in Boston, a semester in London, and studying political science - I was dimly aware of "the Troubles" in Northern Ireland, but I didn't truly understand it. In Say Nothing Patrick Radden Keefe sheds light on this decades long conflict. Or should I call it a war? "Troubles" is way too small a word to describe what happened in Northern Ireland.

Say Nothing is more than a history lesson. It also a true crime mystery. The book begins with the kidnapping and disappearance of Jean McConville, a widowed mother of ten who was snatched out of her home, children clinging to her, and never seen again. Say Nothing explores how and why people on both sides did what they did and how their actions bled (literally and figuratively) into the lives of civilians.

I couldn't put this down and this is the ultimate compliment I can pay a book. This is a meaty book and somehow I finished it in three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments. Tell me about the books you're reading.