Monday, September 10, 2012

More Baths Less Talking by Nick Hornby

More Baths Less Talking: Notes from the Reading Life of a Celebrated Author Locked in Battle with Football, Family, and Time Itself

More Baths Less Talking is a collection of Nick Hornby's columns from the magazine The Believer.  This is the fourth collection of his columns, covering the period from May 2010 to December 2011.  Each column begins with a list of the books he acquired that month and what books he actually read.  Like many people, or at least like me, Hornby's book buying is often more ambitions than time allows, resulting in the first list usually being longer than the second. 

I loved this collection.  It isn't just a collection of book reviews.  Hornby writes about books, reading and life, and well, just all of it.  It's funny, so funny that I smiled, chuckled and laughed, even while I was reading on the bus.  I couldn't help it.  As an added bonus I got a few suggestions for future reading adventures.

In addition to Hornby's collections of his Believer columns, I'm also fan of his fiction writing.  About a Boy is my favorite, closely followed by High Fidelity, both of which were made into movies that I also enjoyed.  It's hard to go wrong with a Hornby book.  Pick one up and you're unlikely to be disappointed.   

Earlier collections of Hornby's Believer columns
The Polysyllabic Spree
Housekeeping vs. the Dirt
Shakespeare Wrote for Money

Also recommended
About a Boy
High Fidelity
Juliet, Naked
Slam

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments. Tell me about the books you're reading.