Friday, November 30, 2012

I'm a NaNoWriMo Winner!



At the beginning of November I decided to write a novel.  I did it in connection with National Novel Writing Month where thousands (maybe millions) of people aimed to write at least 50,000 words in thirty days.  I wrote 673 words the first day then, well I didn't exactly forget about it, I just got busy.  The NaNoWriMo website has this nifty little statistics widget that tells novel writers how many total words they've written so far, number of words written that day, daily average of words written, how many words are left till the 50,000 goal is reached, and the the predicted time a writer will finish if he or she continues writing at the then current average.  other information.  On day four I logged in to the the website and found that I was far behind.  With a measly 673 words written, according to the numbers I wouldn't finish until mid-January!  From that day forward I made myself sit down and write everyday.  It wasn't easy.  There were many nights spent writing to midnight trying to meet my word count for the day. Eventually, on November 27th, I finished, coming in at 50,457!

Now, whether what I wrote is any good, whether it will ever see the light of day - that I don't know.  November was for writing, next month will be the beginning of the editing.  No matter how it turns out I'm glad I wrote it.  I have always wanted to write.  I've always thought there was a story or two inside me.  Many times I started to write, opened to a new page in a notebook to jot down my ideas, a new Microsoft document, but then I would I always get distracted.  National Novel Writing Month provided the necessary motivation.  So thank you National Novel Writing Month, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments. Tell me about the books you're reading.