Saturday, April 26, 2014

the Moments, the Minutes, the Hours: the Poetry of Jill Scott

Moments, the Minutes, the Hours: The Poetry of Jill Scott I never know what to think or say about poetry.  Without a plot or characters I’m not sure what to grab on to, except maybe emotion and perhaps imagery.  Jill Scott has a gift for translating emotion into words.  Her work is honest, angry, friendly, grateful, romantic, and sensual.  The poems are uncomplicated and fairly straight forward, which might be both good and not so good - good because they’re easy to understand but not so good because there is little to imagine.  There were a few poems that I re-read two or three times but most didn’t stay long with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments. Tell me about the books you're reading.