Saturday, October 11, 2014

Bookish Television and a Read-a-Thon

The Librarians on TNT

A few years ago I came across a movie called The Librarian: Quest for the Spear.  Noah Wyle plays a Flynn, a life long student who has twenty-two academic degrees.  He loves learning and school, but alas, the time has come for him to get a job.  For someone who loves the pursuit of knowledge this seem disastrous.  That is until Flynn gets a job as a librarian at a very unusual institution.

I'm not going to lie - I love this movie.  Wyle as Flynn is a sort of nerdy Indiana Jones.  Being a librarian, life long student, and lover of books myself, how I could not?  I mean, he's a librarian who goes on adventures around the world.  Plus there's Jane Curtin (SNL, Kate & Allie, 3rd Rock from the Sun) and Bob Newhart (multiple versions of the Bob Newhart show) as fellow librarians.  What's not to love?

Two more movies followed after this: The Librarian: Return to King Solomon's Mines in 2006 and The Librarian: The Curse of the Judas Chalice in 2008.  Now Wyle is going to reprise his role as Flynn for a new tv series called The Librarians on TNT.  The show premiers on December 7.  I can hardly wait!

Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon

Mark your calendars for Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon to take place on October 18.  I first heard about this last year but failed to sign up in time to participate.  This year I'm all signed up and ready to take on the challenge of reading for 24 straight hours.  Okay, maybe not a full 24 hours.  I will inevitably take a nap or two, or three.  Still, I like the idea of a day to dedicated to reading.  I will be reading and posting about it, probably just short updates about my progress rather than long reviews.

More information about the history of the the Read-a-Thon, the people behind it, and information about how to sign up is available on the group's website.  Keep in mind that even though you participate in your own space it is a group effort.  There will be cheerleaders to cheer readers on and door prizes.  I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments. Tell me about the books you're reading.