Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Random Stuff I Stumbled Upon on the Web

I love falling into rabbit holes and finding new and interesting stuff.  Here are a few things I stumbled upon recently.

Austin Kleon's 33 Thoughts on Reading

These 33 thoughts were posted in October 2014 but it reads like it could be a list of New Year’s reading resolutions.  I especially like thoughts 3, 4, and 5.  Thought 8 is something I continue to struggle with – it is hard for me to not finish a book.  It feels like giving up. Thought 24 I do too much already; it’s why I’m doing the Mount TBR challenge this year.

Kleon also wrote a post titled No More Guilty Pleasures The post is all about liking what you like.  One of the challenges I’m doing this year is Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge and one of the categories is guilty pleasures.  I’ve been trying to figure out what type of book would be a guilty pleasure.  Probably romance, especially the steamy ones!

Saturday, January 24, 2015 is National Readathon Day

Penguin Random House (do companies ever consider coming up with a completely new name rather than combining their old names when they merge?) and the National Book Foundation have come together to launch National Readathon Day.  It is a fundraiser to support the National Book Foundation's "efforts to create, promote, and sustain a lifelong love of reading in America."  I love the idea of readathon although I have to admit I am slightly mystified by the notion of having to sustain a lifelong love of reading, but then maybe that's because I am a reader and have been for as along as I can remember. 

English Pen: Writers in Translation

One of this year's reading resolutions/challenges is to read more books by authors from other countries.  Of course that means I have to figure out who these authors are and what books they published.  Thankfully there is this handy World Bookshelf website with information about books from around the world.  I can even filter by country or region to make sure I visit different areas of the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments. Tell me about the books you're reading.