Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars  I've had this book, The Fault In Our Stars, for awhile but just now got around to read it.  It is a quick, sweet read centering around two teenagers who fall in love and who both happen to have cancer.  Hazel has been dealing with the prospect of her death since she was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at age 13.  A miracle drug has prolonged her life but she still feels like a grenade about to blow up the lives of the people she loves.  Then Augustus Waters walked into the support group for cancer kids that Hazel attends and well, some things change and others stay the same.

Mostly The Fault In Our Stars is a love story with cancer as a backdrop.  Hazel and Augustus are witty and funny.  They bond over books and video games.  Cancer sucks and they don't pretend otherwise.  Reading about two people falling in love is almost always sweet, and this was no exception.  There is nothing particularly surprising about this book but that may be in part because I'm old enough to have read and seen multiple stories about couples in love where one or more has a life threatening illness.  Still this was a good read.

This is the second book by John Green I've read.  I can see why people like this (especially teenagers), though this isn't my favorite John Green book.  I liked Looking for Alaska more.  In any I will definitely be reading more of John Green's work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments. Tell me about the books you're reading.